What to do if you do not receive your W2!

Missing your W2?

Every year around this time we start receiving phone calls from troubled employees wanting to know what to do if their employer has not sent their W2 form  The following are some suggestions as outlined on the irs.gov website:

  1. Contact your employer.   It may be possible that they forgot to mail your W2 or maybe it got lost in the mail and they can issue a replacement.  
  2. Contact the IRS If you do not receive your W-2 by February 14th, contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. It may be a good idea to locate your last paycheck stub or a fairly recent one and you should be prepared to answer the following questions:
    • Employer’s name, address, city and state, including zip code and phone number
    • Dates of employment
    • An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and when you worked for that employer during 2016.
  3. File your return You still must file your tax return before the deadline with or without your W2.  Instead, you should use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Attach Form 4852 to the return, estimating income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible.  There may be a delay in any refund due while the information is verified.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *